Saturday, January 18, 2014

Stephen King's The Dead Zone (1983) original

 This one was really good, the story is very compelling and I can see why the novel was successful, as well as why both a remake and TV series (of the same name, lasted from 2002-06) were successful based off of this story. Everyone says it's one of Christopher Walken's best roles and I have to agree, plus I love movies/TV shows about psychics or psychic powers and connecting to "the other side" or predicting/altering the future. It's also nice to see Cronenberg direct a movie that doesn't have to be SO violent (unlike his other films), although it does have one very violent moment. I give the film a 4.75/5, (my ratings also take into consideration the genre of the film, so while the Funhouse I gave a 5/5 that's because it'a a perfect horror film to me, The Dead Zone is more of a mix of genres but overall a drama I'd have to say and not deserving of the highest ranked of dramas, even though it's still good, IMO). This film (along with several others I've reviewed) is on the list of Bravo's 100 Scariest Moments, as well as featured in the book Horror! by Kim Newman. Trailer below: 

No comments:

Post a Comment